Flood Risk Advice and Support

To help prepare for the unlikely event of flooding, you can Sign up for Flood alerts.

What to do before a flood

There are several things residents and businesses can do to ensure they are prepared for flooding. The Environment Agency offers a wealth of resources and gives the following advice:

Find out if you are at risk

To plan for a flood, check the GOV.UK website to find out your potential flood risk.

You can get the flooding history of the land around a property. This is a free service unless it is for a business or takes more than 18 hours to complete.

Email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

You must include:

  • the property’s address
  • a map showing the property’s location
  • your address and phone number

Order a Land Registry flood risk report for a property in England or Wales.

Sign up for flood alerts

You can sign up to receive the latest flood alerts from the Environment Agency by phone, email, or text alerts.

Keep yourself up to date with weather reports and warnings issued by the Met office.

Understand the meaning of flood warnings.

Make a Business Flood Plan

It is strongly recommended that the owners of businesses in an area at risk of flooding create a business flood plan. It should include how you will:

  • protect staff
  • deal with hazardous equipment
  • reduce the risk from polluting materials

Read guidance on how to prepare your business for flooding.

Read guidance on how to make a flood plan if you are responsible for making a flood plan for a school, hospital, care home or other community group. You can also use a flood plan template.

Make A Personal Flood Plan

A personal flood plan includes a list of things you should do and provides space for you to note down important contact details. Do not wait until a flood happens; you may not have time.

Southend-on-Sea City Council does not have the duty to supply and install sandbags. Find out how to use sandbags properly and the health and safety considerations required.

You can also make a flood plan online.

If you have a disability or need extra help

Contact Floodline to ask for a friend or relative to get flood warnings on your behalf.

Floodline Telephone Number: 0345 988 1188

24-hour service Find out about call charges.

Prepare an Emergency Flood Kit

The National Flood Forums provides advice about what to include in the ‘grab bag’ and other advice.

What to do after a flood

Where to seek help

The National Flood forum provides guidance and information of the steps to take to recover from flooding.

For information of how to clear up safely after a flood event, you can follow Public Health England advice.

Throw things away

You can put most things in the bin if they are not contaminated by chemicals or sewage. Details of skip hire companies can be found in our Commercial Waste directory.

Get rid of contaminated items

Contact the environmental health department to get rid of sandbags and other things polluted by chemicals or sewage.

Prepare for future floods

Flood proof your home

Ask a building surveyor or other independent professional for advice on permanent flood protection measures.

Use the flood protection advisor to find out how much it could cost to protect your home.

Contact the Environment Agency if your plans will affect the flow of a river or will divert flood water to other properties.

Email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

Telephone: 03708 506 506

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges.

Environment Agency

National Customer Contact Centre

PO Box 544


S60 1BY

Read guidance on how to protect your home or small business from a flood.

Read advice from English Heritage if you live in a historic building.

If you own a riverside property

If you own property next to a watercourse, e.g., river, culvert, brook, or mill stream, you must:

  • manage your own flood risk
  • maintain river beds and banks
  • not obstruct the water flow

Read guidance on the rights and responsibilities of owning a riverside property.

Find flood protection products and suppliers

Contact the Flood Protection Association for suppliers or search the National Flood Forum directory.

Look for the Kitemark when buying flood protection products.

Get insurance

Contact the National Flood Forum for advice on how to get insurance and reduce your premium or excess.

Contact the British Insurance Brokers Association to find a broker that specialises in properties that are difficult to insure.

Read guidance on getting insurance in high flood risk areas if you cant get insurance.

Get evidence of flood risk

An insurance company may ask you for an Insurance Related Request Letter if your property is at risk of flooding. The insurer will use the letter to decide if they will insure you and how much it will cost.

Contact the Environment Agency to get the letter.

The letter states:

  • if your property is in a flood risk area
  • how likely the area is to flood
  • the protection given by local flood defences
  • if there are any planned flood defences

You will get the letter within 20 working days. It is free for individuals and £60 for businesses.

If you have done flood protection work on your property, you or a surveyor can complete a Flood Risk Report to tell insurers or buyers how the work affects the flood risk.

Flood Resilience

The work of the Resilience Team at Southend-on-Sea City Council covers both Emergency Planning and Business Continuity functions. Further information on how we support emergency planning and business continuity can be found on the Resilience web pages.

Go to top