Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG)

Southend-on-Sea City Council tries to make sure that as many people as possible receive support to help them do things themselves. A disabled facilities grant can help towards the cost of changing your home so that you can live safely and do things for yourself.

Am I Eligible?

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) can only be given to disabled people for works that help them do things better. Many people are disabled and you might be one of them.

You can apply if you or someone living in your home is disabled and:

  • owns or lives in the home
  • you can certify that you, or the person you are applying for, will live in the property as your main residence throughout the grant period (currently 5 years)

Landlords can also apply on behalf of disabled tenants.

What Works Can Be Carried Out?

An Occupational Therapist will visit your home to talk to you about your needs, look at your home and make recommendations that most suit your disability.

Often, the types of adaptation carried out are to fit a lift that takes a disabled person up stairs from one floor to another or to make improvements in bathrooms. Bathrooms can be improved by:

  • fitting a level access shower
  • a low level WC
  • a wash-hand-basin

Adaptations can be done to help disabled persons get in and out of their home such as fitting a ramp or widening a doorway. The heating system in the home of a disabled person could be improved.

The amount of grant that a person could be allowed depends on a persons disability. We do not seek to limit the amount of work that may be considered under a DFG. However, each case will be considered on its own merits. A grant for an extension, for example, will only be given where no other alternative adaptation or move to a more suitable property is possible.

Grants will not be given where works have already been started or completed.

What Will A Grant Cost Me?

Calculations are based on guidance set by the Government. However, a means test will calculate what, if anything you will need to pay towards the cost of the adaptation work being carried out.

Childrens applications and applicants on certain benefits are not means tested.

Benefits known as passporting benefits currently include:

  • guaranteed pension credit
  • income support
  • income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • income based Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit

At the present time, the Council are also willing to consider applications from those in receipt of Council Tax Reduction only.

Depending on the total value of the works required, repayable grant conditions may be applied upon completion of the adaptation work for owner-occupier properties.

More information regarding Disabled Facilities Grants in Southend can be found in our DFG General Guidance document.

What Shall I Do Next?

If you would like to make an application for a grant, please ring 01702 215008 select option 5 and then select option 1 to speak to the Access Team.

They will ask you some questions to help work out whether you should be assessed for an adaptation or minor adaptation work.

A simple guide to the grant process is also available to view at GOV.UK.

Contact the Adaptations Team

Telephone: 01702 215000

Go to top