Skip Licence (Operator)

If you want to put a skip on a public highway it needs to be licenced. You need one application per skip.

A licence (sometimes called a permit) is required for:

  • Skips
  • Hippo bags and other skip bags

A skip licence is not required if the skip is placed entirely on private land.

A skip must not contain any inflammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous waste or any waste which is likely to putrefy or which otherwise is, or is likely to become, a nuisance to users of the highway.


Within Southend to make sure skips are placed safely and waste is dealt with correctly, only skip companies registered with us can request a skip licence.

Skip companies need to carry adequate public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier.

Access the Public Register for environmental information.

Any skip licences granted are subject to compliance with:

A skip licence must be approved before the skip is placed on the public highway.

Apply for a Skip Licence online (One application per skip required)


For each new skip licence there is a fee which covers consideration of the application and for occupation of the highway up to 21 days.

For current fees please refer to the Council Fees & Charges document.

Fines and Penalties

You can be fined if you place an unlicensed skip on a public road, cause damage to any public property or fail to make sure the skip is safe.


Page last updated: 08/08/2018