Special Educational Needs

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

Special Educational Needs does not include children who have difficulty keeping up because their first language is not English unless they have difficulties that are not accounted for by this.

A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if he or she is likely to come under the definition above when they reach compulsory school age, or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.

The local offer is hosted on SHIP - Southend's Children and Families Information Point website.

Please see our SEND Inspection report - Written Statement of Action page.

Page last updated: 22/05/2019