Housing Benefit Overpayments

Help with Housing Benefit Overpayments

Thinking of contacting us about your Council Tax or Housing Benefit? 

If you register for MySouthend you can have access to your Council Tax bills, make payments, view your account, check your housing benefit entitlement, payment dates and notifications, and now tell us about changes using our new MySouthend forms, all from your secure online account.

To find out more, see the About MySouthend page.

Register, or sign in to your MySouthend account.

If you get too much Benefit it is called an overpayment. We recover all overpayments unless they are caused by an official error so we could not expect you to know you were being overpaid.

If you cannot afford to repay your overpayment in full you will need to contact us. We will tell you your repayment options, you might have to complete an Income and Expenditure form, this can be found in the Online forms section. In some cases we may refer you to Step Change Debt Charity for further advice. 

If you are working we may claim back the overpayment through your employer. Further information about how we will do this can be found in the DEA section for employers link below and in Related Downloads.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit with an overpayment and you are moved onto Universal Credit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions, the Housing Benefit overpayment will be passed over to the Department for Work and Pensions. Arrangements will be made to recover the overpayment via deductions from Universal Credit.

For further information about Universal Credit please visit the Universal Credit information page

For more information about overpayments please see our related downloads.

Page last updated: 29/05/2019