Design and Townscape Guide (SPD 1)
SPD1 - Design and Townscape Guide Adopted 2009
The Design and Townscape Guide was first published in 2006 and updated in 2009. Its purpose is to inspire and positively encourage high quality design for development proposals, to provide a practical basis for achieving this and to assist the Council in resisting poor quality design.
The guide includes information on:
- Site Appraisal including assessing character and context
- Creating Successful Places including successful integration into the surrounding area
- Building Form including density, scale and appearance
- Intensification including redevelopment, backland and infill development
- Relationship with Neighbours
- Accessibility and Community Safety
- Sustainable Development
- The Historic Environment
- Commercial Development including shopfronts
The Design and Townscape Guide is a material planning consideration on all planning applications.
Southend Borough Wide Character Study (2011)
As part of the preparation for recent planning policy documents the Council commissioned a Borough Wide Character Study to explore the key characteristics of the town. This document provides an overview of the Borough as a whole and identifies distinct character areas and may be a useful document to inform the design of new development including the preparation of Design and Access Statements.
Page last updated: 12/02/2020