Planning appeals

How can I submit an appeal?

If you receive a refusal of planning permission or are unhappy about the conditions imposed you can make an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. You should look carefully at the reasons why we turned down your application before you consider an appeal.

It may be possible to negotiate with us and amend the application to make it more acceptable. If you change your proposal and apply again within one year of the refusal you won't have to pay another fee. An appeal should only ever be a last resort.

There are 3 ways of submitting an appeal:

  • written Representation (cheapest, simplest and most common procedure)
  • informal Hearing (discussion forum) or
  • Public Inquiry (full cross examination)

The first option is the most common, especially for householder and other minor applications. Appeals for more detailed major applications tend to be decided by an informal hearing or a full public inquiry.

A written representation statement typically includes and appraisal of the scheme and issues, together with maps, plans and photographs but not oral evidence. Whichever procedure is used, the Inspector will visit the site to judge the effect of your proposal on the area.

If you, the Council or the Planning Inspectorate do not agree to the written procedure, a hearing or an inquiry will be arranged.

Householder appeals must be lodged with the Planning Inspectorate within 3 months of the decision date, advertisement appeals must be lodged within 8 weeks and all other appeals submitted within 6 months of the decision date.

The Secretary of State will review the appeal application and may allow or dismiss the appeal.

Further information (including appeal forms and details of the documents required in support of an appeal) is available from the Planning Inspectorate website.

Go to top