Decent Homes Standard
The Decent Homes Standard was introduced in 2006 and sets out four criteria a ‘decent home’ should meet.
- It meets the current statutory minimum standard for housing.
- It is in a reasonable state of repair.
- It has reasonably modern facilities and services.
- It provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort.
We recommend any property works meet the standard as a minimum. This will help long-term sustainability for the property and tenants/owner occupiers.
More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Finding an empty property for purchase
There are several routes to finding an empty property including:
- local estate agents
- auction houses - to find out more about auctions in the local area visit the future auctions website
- trying to trace the owner of an empty home
In partnership with Essex County Council and Thurrock Council, we have the approved Trader scheme.
You can also report rogue/cowboy builders via the Citizens Advice website or via the telephone on 08082231133.