Collection and Delivery Dates
Service update week commencing 26 July
Our Partner Veolia is still collecting recycling and waste across the borough, despite operational challenges due to fluctuating numbers of employees being asked to self-isolate and the impact of current nationwide HGV driver shortages. Recycling and waste collections in some areas may take place later than usual this week. Please leave your bags and receptacles out and we will collect them as soon as possible. If your recycling and waste have not been collected by 7pm please present your waste tomorrow morning from 7am.
Veolia has vehicles equipped with on-board systems which allow them to know which roads have not been completed, so there is no need to report a missed collection at this stage.
We are working hard to address the situation and we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to catch up. Please try to avoid putting extra strain on our services at this time. There are a few steps you can take to help Veolia carry out their rounds efficiently:
- Do not leave your waste on the public highway overnight and use your food waste bin to prevent black sacks from being scavenged by wildlife, never put food waste in your pink recycling sacks.
- Make sure your recycling and waste is presented by 7am in a visible position.
- Please only present your garden waste bin if it is full, consider waiting another week if your bin is only half-full to help speed up our rounds.
- Do not place heavy or hazardous waste we do not accept in your black sacks, black sacks should only be used to dispose of the following items: tissues and kitchen rolls, sanitary items, pet waste, polystyrene and food pouches, food soiled or greasy packaging (for more information visit black sack collection pages. Do not use your black bags to dispose of waste which should be taken to one of our Household Waste and Recycling Centres such as paint tins or car batteries.
- Be patient if you follow our crews while they are carrying out collections and do not try to overtake Veolia RCVs without visibility.
All collections are expected to be carried out between 7am and 6pm however due to operational reasons some collections may be later in the day.
Please continue to put your recycling and waste out by 7am on your collection day, continue to present on the edge of your property and do not report it as a missed collection until the following day.
Delivery dates and collection days
We have increased the number of recycling sacks that are delivered to all residents.
The enhanced recycling sack allocation now delivered every 6 months includes:
- 3 rolls of 26 pink recycling sacks
- 3 rolls of 26 compostable food waste liners
- 1 roll of 6 clear textile recycling sacks
If you are a new resident to Southend please request a New Residents Pack using our online form on MySouthend. If you register for MySouthend you can manage and keep track of your reports and requests online. You can get all of the information you need, without having to call of visit us. When you register with MySouthend you will receive updates on the status of your request.
If you need some help with the registration process then please see our registration guide.
Order of collection
Black sacks and blue food waste bins will be collected together in one lorry where they are stored separately.
Pink sacks and the paper and card will be collected in a different lorry. These lorries have split backs in order to keep different sorts of waste separate and prevent contamination.
These vehicles may start collections in different locations and, as such, your recycling and waste may be collected at different times.