Home education

As a parent or carer you can choose to educate your child in a school or at home. Home educating can be done either by you or a private tutor. If you choose to educate your child at home you must make sure that your child gets an education to fit their age and ability.

We advise against Elective Home Education whilst you wait for a place at your chosen school.

Cost of home educating

There is no funding offered nationally or by us for home schooling your child.

Home schooling your child can be an expensive option but the cost depends on many things such as:

  • whether you plan to hire a private tutor or educate your child yourself
  • whether you plan to have trips to museums and other locations
  • what kind of educational aids you plan to use such as textbooks, learning CDs etc.
  • Examinations, such as GCSEs

Home schooling your child yourself

You don't have to be a qualified teacher to home educate your child.

We advise that you follow the National Curriculum, but you do not have to. You are also not required to teach certain subjects to your child. But most home schooled children in some way cover the following subjects:

  • Maths
  • English Language and Literature
  • Reading and Creative Writing
  • Science
  • History
  • Geography
  • Foreign Language
  • Art, Design and Technology
  • Music
  • Cookery
  • Computing
  • plus 'practical subjects' like Citizenship, Sex Education, Traffic Safety, Health and Fire Safety

Hiring a private tutor

You can hire private tutors for the whole of your child's home education or just for certain subjects.

There are many agencies that offer private tutors. Advertisements for these can be found in most local newspapers or online.

Before you hire a private tutor you should make sure:

  • they are e-DBS checked
  • they have professional references
  • check their CV thoroughly making sure that their qualifications are valid

Please read the attached guidance leaflet (found in related downloads) which will help you through the process of selecting and employing a trained, professional tutor for your child.

How do I get started?

If your child is currently attending a school or is registered and about to attend, you must unregister your child by writing a letter to the school's headteacher. This letter is not to ask permission to home school but is to ask for your child to be taken off the school's register.

There is an example letter in the Guidance to Parents pdf.

To contact the Elective Home Education Service to discuss your child's education and request an Elective Home Education pack, please telephone 01702 215909.

You can also apply online.

Complaints or concerns

If you have a complaint or concern regarding an individual member of staff or the team please put it in writing and send it to the address listed in our Related Services, which can be found in our related downloads on page.

Contact Children and Families

Telephone: 01702 215000

Go to top