School Admission Appeals
If your child’s school admission application was unsuccessful you may wish to appeal against this decision.
All appeals are heard by an Independent Appeal Panel. If your appeal is successful a place for your child at the school must be provided.
Even if you want to appeal we advise that you accept any place currently being offered. Accepting a place cannot prevent you from appealing for a place at your preferred school. Often parents are not successful in their appeal and accepting any place offered gives you the security of a school place.
We are currently recruiting for Independent Appeal Panel members, to find out more see our Appeal Panel page.
How to Appeal
To appeal for places at any academy, foundation or voluntary aided school you must contact them directly. For community schools please read the following information.
To apply for a school admissions appeal, please either:
- use our online form
- print off the relevant downloadable form below and return to: School Admissions Team, Department of Children and Learning, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend, SS2 6ER
- or print off the relevant downloadable form below, fill it in, scan and email to email@example.com.
Appeal forms for primary schools:
- Appeal Form (Infants)
- Appeal Guidance (Infant Year Groups)
- Appeal Form (Junior)
- Appeal Guidance (Junior Year Groups)
For secondary school paper copy appeal forms, please contact the relevant school directly.
When can I appeal?
For applications made after the closing date for admission applications, appeals should be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for appeal forms being received or within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged.
For in-year admission applications (i.e. not for admissions in the normal admissions round), appeals must be heard within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged.
Appeals submitted after the deadline for admission appeal forms to be received must still be heard, but this can be within a timescale set by the admission authority. For community primary schools in the borough appeals received after the deadline for admission appeal forms to be received will be held within 40 school days of the appeal being lodged.
Once you have been informed that your application has been refused, you will need to submit your appeal within 20 school days.
For community primary schools appeals received after the deadline for admission appeal forms to be received will be held within 40 school days of the appeal being lodged.
What happens once I have submitted my appeal form?
You will receive written notice of the date your appeal will be heard at least 10 school days in advance of the hearing. This does not apply if you indicated on the appeal form that shorter notice is acceptable.
All appeals must be heard within the following timescales:
- Primary and secondary admissions made in the normal admissions round appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals.
- For late applications appeals should be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible or within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged.
- For applications for in-year admissions, appeals must be heard within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged. Appeals are not heard during school holidays.
- For appeals to the main round for reception most of the appeals are heard on the following days: Between 15-29 June 2016 and between 5-21 July 2016.
Do I have to attend the hearing?
You should make every effort to attend so you can explain your case in person. However if you decide not to appear in person your appeal will be considered on the basis of your written evidence only.
When will I be informed of the decision?
If your appeal is one of a number for the same school the panel will not make decisions until all of the appeals have been heard. In these circumstances it may not be possible to advise you of the outcome of your appeal for some time. If your appeal is the only one for a particular school the clerk will write to you within 5 school days.
If my appeal is turned down when can I appeal again?
If you have already appealed you cannot appeal again for the same school in the same academic year. However in rare circumstances you may be able to appeal again if there has been a significant and material change in either your circumstances or the circumstances of the school.
For further information please contact the School Admissions Team.
Page last updated: 12/10/2016