We have an Adoption Support Services Adviser for Southend, they are there to help you access adoption support and other specialist services.
At Southend Adoption Service we recognise the adoption journey both for the child and their parents is a life long process that it will often have many ups, downs and challenges along the way. It is recognised that the journey for adoptive parents could be even harder, given their emotional commitment to the process and the time it takes to become parents.
We provide specialist support on specific adoption issues that you might face whilst your child is growing up.
The adoption passport explains what you, as an adopter and your children are entitled to.
Southend Adoption service aim to support you throughout your adoption journey and beyond, here are some of the ways that we do this;
- we would visit you as when needed whilst you are receiving post adoption service
- we always have a duty worker available to speak to you
- we run a post adoption support group where you can meet other adopters and we can look at any issues you may have and offer support and training opportunities
- we run a pre school group called sparkles
- we have a calendar of social events for our adopters and their families
- we have an Adopter mentor scheme.
The adoption becomes legal
- you cannot apply for an Adoption Order until the child has lived with you for 10 weeks
- the court will not grant one until after they have been with you for at least 19 weeks
- an adoption becomes legal only after the making of an Adoption Order in a court
- this finally means that you are the legal parent of the child and nothing can revoke that
For more details about our recruitment activities, post adoption support offer and activities see our Adoption plan.
We are part of the Adoption Alliance, Adopt East. This consists of:
- 8 local authorities:
- 2 voluntary adoption agency partners:
- Adoption plus
- 1 charity:
- Adoption UK
Within the alliance, there is post adoption support groups, activities and training. This can be accessed across the region by our adoptive families.
For more details contact the Adoption team via:
- phone - 01702 212004
- or email - email@example.com
Adoption Support Fund
The Adoption Support Fund (ASF) was set up on 1 May 2015 by the Department of Education. The ASF aims to make funding more available to adaptors. This was because of the growing need for therapy support for adopted children.
The funding is available for a range of therapy support including:
- therapeutic life story work
- therapy for either the children, their adoptive parents or entire family
- SGO guardians or the entire family based on the assessed needs of the family
This provision is also available for Special Guardianship carers.
To access the ASF funding, you would need to contact the Adoption team as soon as you have concerns about your child.