Apply for an older person's bus pass

You can apply online or email us if you have any further questions.

Am I eligible?

You can get a free older person's bus pass if you are:

  • a Southend-on-Sea resident
  • anyone of state pension age. Check when you qualify by visiting GOV.UK.

Supporting documents

As part of the online application process, you will have the option to upload:

1. A photo of yourself

A recent colour passport style and quality photograph (35mm x 45mm). Please note that hats or sunglasses must not be worn in the photograph.

2. Proof of address

Choose 1 of the following or tick the box on the application to confirm we can check your Council Tax records.

  • driving licence
  • utility bill from within the last year
  • bank or credit card statement from within the last year
  • Council Tax bill from within the last year.

3. Proof of identity

  • birth certificate (and marriage certificate if your name has changed)
  • passport
  • driving licence
  • a letter from the pension service confirming you're eligible for the state pension.

You cannot use the same evidence as proof of age that you used for proof of address. We must have 2 different forms of evidence to issue a bus pass.

Once the above have been received, a bus pass will be posted to your address.

When and where can I use my bus pass?

Find out when and where you can use your bus pass by visiting our using your bus pass page.

You cannot use your pass to for free travel on other forms of transport or public transport i.e. tubes, trains, trams, coaches, Dial-a-Ride services, community services and ferries, either within Southend or in other Districts throughout England.

The bus pass cannot be used on public services of any kind within Wales and Scotland.

Expiry Date of Passes

When your pass expires it will be renewed automatically and you should get your new one before the old one expires.

Change of Address

If you change your address within Southend you need to contact the bus pass department with proof of your new address. If you move away from Southend you need to return your current pass and re-apply for a new pass from the Authority in the area you are moving to.

Contact parking, travel and roads

Telephone: 01702 215003

Go to top