The scheme is currently extremely busy, therefore it may take up to 2 weeks for your claim to be finalised.
Please keep the phone lines (open 8:45 to 12:00 Monday to Friday) available for the most vulnerable and those that do not have internet access.
Please do not chase the outcome of your claim, you will be notified as soon as possible. Please note there may currently be a delay receiving your award letter and Allpay Card (if awarded) due to the Post Office industrial action.
Wherever possible please apply online, using the links on this page.
Online applications are being processed by a dedicated team and they will contact you when your application has been finalised and you will be expected to provide evidence where applicable.
How to apply for an Essential Living Fund grant
- if you live within the City of Southend-on-Sea use this online form
- if you live within the Thurrock Borough use this online form
- if you live in any other part of Essex use this online form
Note: any furniture or household furnishings will be refurbished. White goods will be reconditioned or new where appropriate.
The application form relies on pop ups. To get round it follow these steps.
- Click on the option marked “Tools” at the top of the page.
- Highlight the option marked “Pop-up Blocker”.
- Click on the option marked “Always Allow Pop-ups from This Site”. A new tab will open when you select Check Eligibility, you will then be able to continue with the form.
For information about the scheme operated if you live in the Thurrock area please see about the Essential Living Fund.
For information about the scheme operated if you live in the Essex County Council area see money, debt and benefits: Household Support Fund.
For information about the scheme if you live in the Southend area please read the following.
About the Southend scheme
The Essential Living Fund (ELF) is primarily intended to help vulnerable people live as independent a life as possible in the community.
Its prime objectives are to:
- help people establish in the community following a stay in an institution, Care Home, Local Authority Care, hostel, prison or similar - There must have been a substantial element of care or supervision involved in the stay at these types of institutions and the stay was for 3 months or more
- help people remain in the community rather than enter an institution or Care Home in which they will receive care - the award would be to ensure the applicants independent life in the community will improve and the risk of admission will lessen
- ease exceptional pressures on people or their families - being on a low income alone is not an indicator of exceptional pressure. There must be a circumstance that has applied greater pressure than normally associated with a low income, such as breakdown of a relationship, sudden domestic upheaval, deterioration in a disability
- help people with certain travel costs - please see policy in downloads section for specific criteria covered by this objective
- help people who are unable to meet their immediate short term needs either in an emergency in relation to some expenses or as a consequence of a disaster - this must be as a result of an unexpected disaster or emergency (unforeseen circumstance). It does not apply to people affected by the Government Welfare Reform Programme, people affected by delays to benefit applications or people whose money has been lost or stolen
- help children with school uniform costs - please see policy in downloads section for specific criteria covered by this objective
For full details on each please see policy in the downloads section of this page.
To claim an ELF grant the applicant must be aged 16 or over and a resident in the City of Southend, on a low income or with little or no resources.
To see whether you qualify for the award you will need to answer questions about your income, earnings and savings. You also need to give proof of your financial situation.
The scheme can cover applications for:
- household furnishings
- white goods
- clothing and footwear - including School Uniform in exceptional circumstances
- general living expenses - these are day to day living expenses such as groceries, nappies, toiletries and fuel.
If you are awarded the grant you will not be paid in cash or into a bank account. Instead it will be:
- food parcel / food voucher
- AllPay cards
- high quality recycled furniture from reputable charity
- white goods from a reputable local dealer
After you have applied
General living expenses
General Living Expenses Applications are treated as priority. You will be notified by letter if your application is successful. The letter will include all details on how your grant will be paid.
All other applications
You will be told if your application for furniture, household furnishings, white goods, clothing or footwear is successful by letter. The letter will have more information on how to get the items and what you need to take with you to get your items.
An AllPay card is similar to a Mastercard debit card and an amount of credit will already be loaded onto the card. The card can be used in any store that accepts MasterCard. The card should only to be used to buy the items you applied for.
The card is only valid for 4 weeks. After 4 weeks the card will be cancelled and made invalid. Any money left on the card will be refunded back to the Essential Living Fund scheme.
You can request a review of your Essential Living Fund decision if you disagree with the outcome.
You can ask for a Tier 1 reconsideration by writing to us at:
Essential Living Fund, Southend-on-Sea City Council, Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS2 6ER
Or alternatively emailing us.
This must be done in writing within 1 month of the date stated on your notification letter.
You can ask for a Tier 2 reconsideration by using the above methods if you do not agree with the decision of the Tier 1
A member of the Benefits Management Team will then decide the final outcome. You cannot appeal against the final decision.
For more information please view the ELF policy.
Phone lines are open weekdays 08:45am to 12:00pm.