Independent living and occupational therapy (OT)

Adaptations and housing

Making your home accessible

We want to help people stay living safely at home for as long as possible. If you require additional support with getting around your home, there are lots of resources available to you.

How to get equipment and home adaptations yourself

You may want to explore the options available to you without requesting an assessment. The pages in this section of the website can help you to look at options to meet your needs and offer signposting if you choose to find equipment or adaptations on your own.

Get help deciding what you need: occupational therapy (OT)

An assessment is available for people who are eligible and require specialist help to find solutions to their difficulties. The OT will assess your needs and make recommendations where appropriate for any necessary adaptations. The aim of the assessment is to use a person’s strengths and minor equipment will always be considered first.

If smaller items of equipment have already been tried and are no longer meeting your needs, larger adaptations to your home may be considered. Adaptations will only be considered if they are essential for your daily needs. If the adaptation works are recommended and practical, we would then organise contractors to conduct the adaptations.

What type of work is undertaken?

Examples include, subject to practicality:

  • ramps
  • stairlifts
  • bathroom adaptations

The Disabled Facilities Grant can be used to pay for major adaptations.


If the property cannot be adapted to meet your needs, or you want to move to a more suitable property you will need to apply for social housing.

If you are a South Essex Homes tenant, you can apply via on the move.

However please be aware that the property you currently rent, will be assessed first to ascertain if it can be adapted to meet your needs, before re-housing will be considered.

Contact access information

Telephone: 01702 215008

Go to top