Organising a street party

Please consult with all affected residents before you apply for a street party permit. You must send affected residents a letter to include:

  1. the date
  2. the time
  3. the proposed activities
  4. the location of road closure
  5. your contact phone number

Ensure you attach to your application a plan or map showing where you want to close the road and a copy of the letter sent to residents. Your application cannot be validated without this information.

The Council requires a minimum of four weeks to process a street party application.

To submit an application form for a Street Party permit, please use our online form.

Organising your street party

We encourage all street party organisers to talk to us well in advance of the proposed event to ensure everything runs as smoothly and safely as possible. We can answer any queries you may have, advise you on your responsibilities and our requirements.

Please refer to the following information to help you plan your street party:

  • street party terms and conditions on the application form - Information to help you understand what is expected of you
  • request for a street party permit - application process information to help you understand the steps we go through before a street party permit can be issued

Balloon and lantern sky release

If you are planning a balloon or lantern sky release, please see our guidance document.

How to apply

You can apply using our online form.

Note: please make sure that the form is completed fully and you include all supporting documents needed before you submit your application.

If any information is missing or incorrect we may return your application to you.

A minimum of 28 days is needed to process the paperwork.

Public events - making your event safe

You should read all the documents that are relevant to your event carefully and put in place the required measures to make your event safe.;

Key considerations and actions

  • carry out a risk assessment. This must be completed for every event and needs to be specific to the type of event you are hosting. Further information on how to conduct a risk assessment can be found here: Managing risks and risk assessment at work - Overview -HSE
  • think about capacity. Make sure there is enough space for everyone to follow any social distancing rules that apply at the time across the event space
  • Living with COVID-19. The virus is still with us. We encourage you to consider the following
    • make sure queues are managed effectively in all areas (bars, catering provisions, toilets, activities etc.) and upon entry
    • think about handwashing facilities, liquid hand soap and paper towels for hand drying. If any new handwashing stations are being installed, non-hand operable taps are preferred
    • outdoor options: Think about whether or not you can run the event safely outside instead as the risk of the virus spreading is lower outdoors. Make sure you have a back-up plan and do an appropriate risk assessment in case you run into difficult weather
    • indoors: Maximise fresh air ventilation. Keep doors and windows open wherever possible. Keep all occupied spaces well ventilated
    • events with multiple groups: Make sure you factor in enough time to clean and prepare between groups. This would help prevent people from waiting in large groups for this to happen, especially inside. Have waiting areas outdoors where possible
    • think about the hazards of shared equipment. Make sure there are enough effective cleaning and rotation measures in place
    • if your event has particularly high risks, think about whether or not it needs to be assessed at the Safety Advisory Group

Martyn’s Law

In December 2022 the Home Secretary made an announcement regarding the foundational policy for Martyn’s Law, formerly known as the Protect Duty, in Parliament.

Legislation will be brought forward as soon as parliamentary time allows. Martyn’s Law will extend to and apply across the whole of the United Kingdom.

Further information on Martyn’s Law can be found on the:

Contact Environmental Health and Trading Standards

Telephone: 01702 215005

Useful websites - organising a street party

Online forms - organising a street party

Go to top