Housing and support options for young people aged 16 or 17 years old

The Joint Assessment

If I am 16 or 17 what happens if I am homeless or threatened with homelessness?

If you are 16 or 17 and you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you should approach our Children's Social Care team:

If you already have a worker supporting you, such as a Social Worker or Early Help Worker you should contact them straight away.

Why do I need a joint assessment?

Both Children's Social Services and Local Housing Authorities have responsibilities towards you if you are 16 or 17 and are:

  • homeless
  • at risk of becoming homeless

We work together to support, safeguard and promote the welfare of young people.

What is a joint assessment?

A joint assessment is a free of charge process that finds out what your individual needs are. The meeting may take a couple of hours and your social worker will make sure you are aware of the date and you are able to attend.

During the meeting there may be some things which are difficult to talk about. It is important you give as much information as possible about why:

  • you are homeless
  • you cannot return home

You will also be asked about things like your:

  • education
  • training
  • employment
  • health
  • support needs

What is an advocate?

Before the joint assessment, you will be offered an independent advocate. An advocate makes sure that you fully understand your:

  • rights and entitlements
  • housing and support options

They will help you make an informed decision and support you in the meeting.

Your advocate will make sure that you fully understand what is available to you and will support you to share any wishes, feelings and worries that you may have.

In Southend-on-Sea, independent advocacy is provided by the National Youth Advocacy Service:

Contact us - Housing solutions

Telephone: 01702 215002

Useful websites - homelessness

Online forms - housing advice and homeless enquiry form

Go to top