Caravan sites and mobile home parks


To operate a mobile home, caravan or camping site, various permissions will be required. This may include permission from the owner or relevant council departments such as planning.

In addition a Fire Risk Assessment must be carried out and approved by the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service. Once these have all these, you must get a licence from the local authority. This can be got from the Private Sector Housing team.

Fit and proper person fee policy

Visit our Fit and proper person fee policy pages for full details.


Private Sector Housing Team
Department for People
Southend-on-Sea City Council
Victoria Avenue

01702 215000

When granted the licence may have conditions included which cover things such as:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for people to live in
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or rules around the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • ensuring steps are taken to improve the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • ensuring that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Most popular downloads - caravan site and mobile home parks

Go to top