Applying to Work at the Council
To ensure all interviews are fair at least two people will interview you.
For Deputy Chief Executives and Director roles the interview will be carried out by a panel of Elected Members.
If you are shortlisted for an interview where there are any tests or presentations as part of the interview you will be given details of these. All equipment will be provided.
Before we offer you a job you must:
- supply a reference from your current or previous employer
- tell us if you are related to a council employee or councillor
- tell us if you have any unspent convictions
- complete a medical questionnaire (you may also be asked to undergo a medical check)
- supply proof that you can work in the UK
Politically restricted posts
If you are in a political position you may be restricted in what jobs you can apply for within the council. This is under The Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
If this applies to the job you are applying for it will be made clear in the job description. This restriction means that for these certain jobs you cannot:
- be a candidate or prospective candidate for election as an MP, MEP or Councillor
- hold office in a political party
- canvass at elections for a political party
- speak or write in public in a manner which appears to be designed to affect public support for a political party
The National Fraud Initiative
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998 we may also share the information you give us with bodies that review and manage public funds. This is to detect and stop fraud.
- We are required to provide certain sets of data to the Minister for the Cabinet Office for matching for each exercise, as detailed on the GOV.UK website.
- The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 1998.
To find out about what we do with the information you supply to us on your application please see our Data Protection Act page.
Page last updated: 22/11/2019