You are never too young to become a member of the library. It's quick and easy - just visit your local library or apply online.
It is free to reserve items from other libraries - you just pick them up from your local library. There are no overdue fees on children's books borrowed on a child's ticket - but do remember that there may be someone waiting to read it after you!
The Children’s Library stocks:
- fiction and non-fiction books for children
- short sharp reads - books with exciting shorter stories with some in comic book style and some with true facts. This collection includes books published by Barrington Stoke which are particularly useful for children with dyslexia
- poetry and joke books
- dual language books - stories in various community languages and an English translation. Polish/ Polski, French/ Francais and Somali/ Afsomali are most popular. Come and see if we have your language
- life situations - stories and information books for children experiencing new or difficult situations, e.g. starting school, visiting the doctor, a new baby in the family or bereavement
- story CDs
- computer access – use the computers for up to an hour a day free of charge
Events and Clubs for Children
Storyrhymes – children from birth to 5 years old can enjoy the magic of stories and rhymes with their parents/ carers. Weekly Storyrhyme sessions are held in all libraries for children under 5years and their parents/carers. Dates of these can be found on our calendar of events.
Group Visits to Libraries
Schools and other organisations such as Cubs & Brownies are welcome to make an appointment to come and use our resources or take part in a Discovery Tour. Please do check that no other activities are taking place.
Services for Childminders, Pre-schools, Nurseries, Children's Centres, Toddler Groups and Foster Carers
We offer an additional library card for the above groups to ensure that the children in their care have good quality books available to them. Children's books are loaned for an extended period (12 weeks).
Page last updated: 22/10/2019