Services in the Library
The services we offer include:
- access to a catalogue of over 6m books and other library resources
- e-books and e-audio books
- computer access
- CD, DVD and language collections
- online driving theory tests
- family history
- local studies collection
- spoken word collection
- a collection of popular and classical music on CD is available at Leigh Library
In every library in Southend there are PCs which give access for both adults and children to:
- the internet
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher)
You can use these computers free of charge for up to 1 hour a day.
All our libraries have DVDs for adults and children to borrow.
You can choose from:
- popular TV series
- local studies titles
The Forum also stocks a large foreign film collection as well as information DVDs including:
- health and fitness
We have a range of materials in different languages, these are mostly based at The Forum.
They are available in a range of different formats :
- dual language dictionaries available for reference and loan
- variety of levels available: from complete beginner to advanced
- business, travel and holiday special courses
- news and leisure magazines in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Urdu
- literature collection in European, Chinese and Indic languages
There is a wide range of magazines to choose from on the RBdigital website and app. You can read them on your computer, smartphone or tablet for free.
Online Driving Theory Tests
You can practise for the Driving Theory Test at your local library.
All our libraries offer Theory Test Pro for free. This service provides a realistic online simulation of the UK's driving theory test.
Access to Theory Test Pro is free for borrowers who call in to any of our Libraries. You can also access the Theory Test Pro from outside of the library using your library card.
All our branches have books on how you can research your family history. A wider range can be requested if you use the free reservation service.
All library branches have a subscription to Ancestry Library Edition.
This is available to anyone in our libraries using a using a Southend Library ticket.
Ancestry is aimed at family historians and gives access to the following:
- births, marriages and deaths
- military records
It covers many countries including:
- major European countries
The Forum has a number of useful records in the local history collection including:
- Southend newspapers on microfilm
- Kelly’s Directories
If you are planning a visit to use any of the microfilm or microfiche you will firstly need to have booked a microfilm/fiche scanner.
All enquiries for family history research should be made to the Forum.
The fees for this research can be found on our Library Facilities and Fees pages.
The Forum can also provide a range of records on microfiche or microfilm for the following:
- Essex Parish Registers
- Tithe apportionments
- Land Tax Assessments
- Early wills of Essex people
For more information call us or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Studies Collection
The local studies reference collection in The Forum covers the whole of Essex but concentrates on:
- South East Essex
- Borough of Southend-on-Sea
- Rochford and Castle Point District Council areas
- newspaper cuttings
Spoken Word Collection
All our libraries have the following spoken word on either CDs or e-audio format to download including:
- short stories
- BBC drama
Page last updated: 24/01/2020