Qualifying for a Blue Badge
What is a Blue Badge?
- The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport so that they can park close to where they need to go.
- Blue Badge holders can be either the driver or the passenger of a vehicle they are travelling in.
- Blue Badges are valid for up to 3 years and cost £10 for new, renewal and replacement badges.
Do you qualify for a Blue Badge?
There are three types of Blue Badge available:
- These are ‘Eligible without Further Assessment’
- ‘Eligible subject to Further Assessment’
- Organisational Blue Badges.
|‘Eligible without Further Assessment’
If you are over two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:
|Documents to show that you qualify:|
|Receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)||Letter of entitlement for the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance issued within the last 12 months or a copy of your annual uprating letter|
|Receive 8 points or more under the "moving around" activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)||Personal Independence Payment decision letter issued within the last 12 months|
|Are registered blind (severely sight impaired)||Have a Certification of Vision Impairment (CVI) or a BD8 form signed by a consultant ophthalmologist|
|Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS)||Letter of entitlement for the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement|
|Have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme||Award letter confirming receipt of tariffs 1-8 under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme, which also certifies that you have a permanent and substantial disability, which causes inability to walk, or very considerable difficulty walking|
|Disability in both arms||A copy of your insurance details if you drive a specially adapted vehicle|
|For eligible children under three||A letter from a healthcare professional that has been involved in the child's treatment, giving details of medical condition and type of medical equipment needed|
|‘Eligible subject to Further Assessment'|
|Drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter||If you are applying under the 'subject to further assessment' criteria you will be contacted by ABLE2 Occupational Therapy Services who work in partnership with Southend Council to assess eligibility.
Note: Whilst ABLE2 will confirm eligibility, Southend Council will issue the Blue Badge.
|Has a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking|
Organisational Blue Badges
- An organisational Blue Badge can be issued when their vehicle(s) are to be used to transport disabled people who would qualify for a Blue Badge in their own right.
- Badges will only be issued to organisations that both care for and transport disabled people who would themselves be eligible for an individual Blue Badge.
In addition, children under the age of three may qualify for a badge if they fall within either of the following descriptions:
- A child who must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment that cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty.
- A child who must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.
Badge Issue Fee:
A charge of £10 is made for all new, renewal and replacement badges issued. The charge is only applied to successful applications. If your application is unsuccessful and you are not awarded a badge, you will not be charged.
If your application is successful we will contact you /your representative to make arrangements for payment. Your Blue Badge will only be ordered from our supplier once your payment has been received and will take up to 10 working days to be delivered to your home address. If you wish to collect your blue badge in person please let us know.
Please note: we do not accept cash payments.
Please see the Gov.uk website about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and eligibility for a Blue Badge.
If you are already receiving DLA, you can quickly identify how and when you might be affected by PIP by entering your date of birth and postcode in the online PIP checker at www.gov.uk/pip-checker.
Page last updated: 14/08/2018