Coronavirus - (COVID-19)

Worried? Need help with food shopping or other tasks? If you have no friends or family nearby who can help then please call our helpline on 01702 212497.

Visit our Coronavirus page for the latest advice and guidance.

Apply for an Older Person’s Bus Pass

Who is Eligible?

Anyone who lives in Southend-on-Sea who has reached the state pensionable age. You can check when you will qualify by visiting the GOV.UK website or phoning our Customer Service Centre on 01702 215003.

To apply for a bus pass please download the application form

When you apply you need to send:

  1. Your completed application form.
  2. A recent colour passport style and quality photograph (35mm x 45mm). Please note that hats or sunglasses must not be worn in the photograph.
  3. A copy of proof of your address dated within the last 3 months, or tick the box on the application to confirm we can check your Council Tax records. Proof of address can be a Council Tax bill dated within the last 12 months, utility bill, rent book, bank statement or a benefit award dated within the last 12 months.
  4. A copy of proof of identity and date of birth, which can be a birth certificate, driving licence or passport.

Please send photocopies only, do not send original documents.

Once the above have been received a bus pass will be posted to your address.

When and where can I use my bus pass?

Find out when and where you can use your bus pass by visiting our using your bus pass page.

You cannot use your pass to for free travel on other forms of transport or public transport i.e. tubes, trains, trams, coaches, Dial-a-Ride services, community services and ferries, either within Southend or in other Districts throughout England.

The bus pass can’t be used on public services of any kind within Wales and Scotland.

Expiry Date of Passes

When your pass expires it will be renewed automatically and you should get your new one before the old one expires.

Change of Address

If you change your address within Southend you need to contact the bus pass department with proof of your new address. If you move away from Southend you need to return your current pass and re-apply for a new pass from the Authority in the area you are moving to.

Page last updated: 18/12/2019