Selective Licensing Scheme


Following public consultation, a Selective Licensing scheme for some private rented properties was approved on March 18 2021.

The scheme was approved to cover families living in private rented homes within specific neighbourhoods in the following wards:

  • Milton
  • Kursaal
  • Victoria
  • Chalkwell

The scheme will help us to regulate:

  • Conditions
  • Management
  • occupation of properties

In the selected areas, landlords will need to have a licence for each house they rent. Failure to obtain, may result in severe unlimited penalties.

We believe that introducing this scheme will:

  • improve housing conditions for those in the private sector
  • reduce anti-social behaviour (ASB)
  • reduce levels of property related crime
  • increase the number of good landlords
  • develop an improved offer providing higher quality rented housing resulting in improved neighbourhoods

To find out if your property is included in this scheme, enter your full address in the search box on this map of the designated area.

If your property is within the selected area, you will be required to apply for a licence from 1 December 2021.

If you require clarification on whether your property requires a licence, contact us via:

Please note that we will be receiving a high volume of calls and enquiries. As a result it may take up to 5 working days in order to obtain a response. We will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible.

Selective Licensing Public Notice

Selective Licensing - Our Responses to consultation comments

To view the documents please visit Your Say Southend.

Contact Housing

Telephone: 01702 215002

Go to top