Vehicle crossovers

To take a vehicle safely across a footpath (and verge) to gain access to a property/site a vehicle crossover must be created.

A section of kerb will be lowered and the footway (and verge) strengthened to avoid damage to any pipes and cables buried beneath.


You must apply to our traffic and highways department for approval if you would like to:

  • create new vehicle crossover
  • alter an existing crossover

You do not need approval from us if your property/site is on a private road.

You can ask us to approve up to, two vehicle crossovers at the same site, on the same application.

You can also apply for one crossover for two adjacent properties on the same application.

You must read the vehicle crossover application guidance and the vehicle crossover policy for the conditions that need to be met before applying for a crossover.

Other approvals

You may need:

  • Planning permission, if you do, it must be granted before you make a vehicle crossover application. Planning permission does not guarantee traffic and highway approval
  • Environment Agency consent if the proposed crossover needs to cross a ditch or ordinary watercourse
  • written consent from the freeholder/landowner of the premises (if that is not you)
  • to make an application to have any restriction on land cancelled or modified if the title deeds of the property include a deed restriction (also known as a restrictive covenant) that would affect parking within the property boundary

You must read the vehicle crossover application guidance and the vehicle crossover policy for the details of what permissions are needed before applying for a crossover.


Our application fee is staggered and the application fee is non-refundable.

The application fee is a charge to carry out an initial site assessment and to consider the application.

Current application and crossover fees can be found on our fees and charges document.


Dropped kerbs must be constructed by authority approved contractors. It is illegal to use anyone else.

If you break these rules, any work done will be reversed and the resident will be charged.

Contact parking, travel and roads

Telephone: 01702 215003

Most popular downloads - vehicle crossovers

Go to top