Primary School Admissions
Primary School Admissions to reception and year 3 at an Infant, Junior or Primary School are coordinated for all schools in the borough by the School Admissions Team, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council. Admissions during the school year are called In-year admissions. Application forms and further details about in-year admission should be made by selecting 'in-year admissions' on this web site.
Primary School Admission 2018/19 (main round to years R and 3, all other applications are called 'in-year')
Applications for a September 2018 start in Reception year or Year 3 can be submitted between 14th September 2017 and 15th January 2018. Late applications are welcome and can (only) be submitted on a paper application form which is available here.
The School admission team will be available to meet with you and discuss the process for applying to start school in 2018. To book on a session please click here.
Pupils currently in year 2 (transferring to year 3 in 2018)
Is your child in an infant school?
All children in infant schools must apply for transfer to year 3. This is the law and there is no longer an automatic transfer to the junior school. Please check the admission criteria in the primary booklet 2018 for the Junior School.
Is your child in a primary school?
If you wish to change schools for year 3 you need to submit an application by the 15th January 2018. If you are continuing in the same primary school you will not need to apply.
The School Admissions Team will be available to assist parents and answer any questions on Thursday 28th September 2017 in Committee Room 1 at the Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-sea at 6.00-7.00 pm. All are welcome to drop in. Parents wishing to reserve a place to this event can book by clicking here.
Applications for year 3 school places for September 2018 can be made by using the Borough Council on-line facility at: www.southend.gov.uk/admissions. Alternatively you can request a paper copy of the application by contacting the schools admissions team on 01702 212934 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Primary School Admissions Booklet 2018 (to be available around 14th September 2017)
- Primary School Admissions Booklet 2017
- Offer day additional information
- Address Fraud Report
- Primary school admission 2017 - in summary 'What you need to do'
- March 2017 Chalkwell Hall Schools Limit Increase
- Parents Guide to applying online for school admissions to Year R, Year 3, Year 7
- Year Group Table
- Advert for admission in 2017
- Erratum to pages 22, 31 and 32 of Primary Admissions Booklet 2015/16
- Online Application Form (only for admission to new year R in 2017, year 3 and year 7)
- Schools in the Borough
- SIF - Supplementary Information Forms
- Guidance on SBC policy for applications to defer admission for summer born children
- Catchment Area Postcode Lookup Table
If you have a child born between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014, they are due to start school in September 2018.
Applications for this year group can be submitted online or in hardcopy anytime between 14th September 2017 and 15th January 2018.
Page last updated: 11/08/2017