Primary School Admissions
Primary School Admissions to reception and year 3 at an Infant, Junior or Primary School are coordinated for all schools in the borough by the School Admissions Team, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council. Admissions during the school year are called In-year admissions. Application forms and further details about in-year admission should be made by selecting 'in-year admissions' on this web site.
Primary School Admission 2017/18 (main round to years R and 3, all other applications are called 'in-year')
Applications for a September 2017 start in Reception year or Year 3 can be submitted between 14th September 2016 and 15th January 2017. Late applications are welcome and can (only) be submitted on a paper application form which is available here.
Parents only need to apply for Year 3 if they wish to change schools between Year 2 and 3. Children in Infant schools automatically transfer to the 'linked' Junior School and do not need to apply (eg. Hamstel Infant to Hamstel Junior School). School places are not offered on a 'first come first served' basis, but are considered in line with the admission criteria for each school. Please consult the Year group table below to check when your child is due to start school or which year group your child is in.
If, however, parents wish their child to be considered for a year 3 place at an alternative Junior or Primary school they will need to complete a Single Application Form on which you can express preferences for up to 3 schools. Parents are advised that there are limited additional places for year 3 and the only schools with additional places are Bournes Green Junior School (6 places) and West Leigh Junior School (8 places). Parents are encouraged to read the letter to Year 2 Parents.
- Primary School Admissions Booklet 2017
- Offer day additional information
- Primary School Admissions Booklet 2016
- Primary school admission 2017 - in summary 'What you need to do'
- March 2017 Chalkwell Hall Schools Limit Increase
- Letter to year 2 parents - transfer to year 3 September 2017
- Parents Guide to applying online for school admissions to Year R, Year 3, Year 7
- Year Group Table
- Advert for admission in 2017
- Online Application Form (only for admission to new year R in 2017, year 3 and year 7)
- Schools in the Borough
- SIF - Supplementary Information Forms
- Guidance on SBC policy for applications to defer admission for summer born children
- Catchment Area Postcode Lookup Table
If you have a child born between 1st September 2012 and 31st August 2013, they are due to start school in September 2017.
Applications for this year group can be submitted online or in hardcopy anytime between 14th September 2016 and 15th January 2017.
Page last updated: 28/03/2017