By law, your dog must wear a collar and identity tag when in a public place. The tag must have your contact details on it. On 6th April 2016 The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulation 2015 brought into force compulsory microchipping of all dogs. You are also strongly recommended to have your cat microchipped. More information can be found on our microchipping page.
If you find a stray dog you should call us anytime on 01702 215000 or fill in our online form.
- if it is Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 5.15pm, The Animal Warden will be notified and will make arrangements to collect the dog from you
- if it is outside of these times, we will tell you where our drop-off point for stray dogs is located
Dogs that are not claimed are kennelled for 7 days and then found good homes.
Unfortunately we are not able to take receipt of stray dogs at the Civic Centre.
You should tell us as soon as you realise that your dog is missing. You should tell us:
- a detailed description of the dog
- what the dog’s collar looks like (if any)
- whether it has been microchipped.
You must tell us if the situation changes and especially if your dog is found.
If the Animal Warden finds your dog you will have to pay for your dog’s return and for any kennelling costs.
Kennelling Fees: £77.50 which covers the cost of seizing the dog and one night's kennelling fee and an extra £17.34 for every extra day.
You can report a lost dog using on our online form.
If you would like to adopt an unclaimed dog please contact:
- acresway Kennels: 01268 770402
- rehoming Rescue Dogs - RSPCA Essex south and Southend Branch: 07749175023
If you have lost your cat or have found a stray cat, the Cats Protection League have a lost and found register for all missing cats.
For more information please visit Cats Protection League website.