Crime and anti-social behaviour


Fraud and other money related crimes like theft, bribery and hiding money from crime cost us all a lot of pounds each year.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, you should tell us.

Benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is investigated by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Tell them if you think someone is doing this. You can telephone them on 0800 854 440 or contact them at the GOV.UK website.

Other types of fraud

There are lots of types of fraud that effect the council. You should tell us if you think someone is committing any of the following:

  • housing tenancy fraud
  • council tax fraud
  • business rates fraud
  • Blue Badge fraud for disabled parking
  • social care fraud
  • insurance fraud
  • council workers or someone working with the Council doing fraud or taking money for things they shouldn't
  • trying to hide or use money from crime

We will stop anyone who is doing these types of crime against us.

You can tell us about fraud (but not benefit fraud) using our online form.

You do not have to give us your name when you tell us about fraud.

You can also write to us at:

Counter fraud and investigation
Southend-on-Sea City Council
Civic Centre
Victoria Avenue

You can tell us by calling 01702 215254

You can email us at

Our fraud investigators can ask the people you work for to give them information about your job. If you are an employer, you can find out what we can and cannot do by emailing

Contact Fraud

Report Line 24 hours a day - 01702 215215

Telephone: 01702 215254

Go to top