Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour


Fraud and other economic crimes such as theft, bribery, corruption and money laundering cost the UK taxpayer billions of pounds each year.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, report it.

Benefit fraud

Benefit fraud cases are investigated by the government's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Contact the DWP if you suspect someone is committing benefit fraud: either by phoning the National Benefit Fraud Helpline on 0800 854 440 or by reporting it through the GOV.UK website.

Other types of fraud

There are several types of fraud and economic crime that affect council services. You should let us know if you suspect someone is committing any of the following:

  • housing tenancy fraud
  • council tax fraud
  • business rates fraud
  • Blue Badge fraud for disabled parking
  • social care fraud
  • insurance fraud
  • council employee and contractor fraud, bribery or corruption
  • money laundering

We take action against anyone who commits these types of crime against us.

You can report fraud (other than benefit fraud) using our online form.

You can report anonymously using the form above, or contact us: 

Counter fraud and investigation
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
Civic Centre
Victoria Avenue

01702 215254

Page last updated: 30/10/2019