Severe Weather Information and Advice
Please see below for advice, information and links to help you in the event of severe weather.
- we encourage residents to be prepared and take extra care during severe weather particularly when travelling
- check before travelling the latest road and rail updates. As there may be disruption and longer journey times may occur. You can check for the latest traffic updates by listening to local radio stations
- residents are advised to travel with caution. If you find standing water, drive with care and slow down. The wash from cars going through water can flood nearby homes or cause other vehicles to stall. Your own brakes may also be affected
Secure Homes and Property and check on elderly/vulnerable neighbours
- we advise residents to take steps to secure their homes and property against the weather if it becomes more severe
- it is also important to check on vulnerable neighbours, especially if they are elderly
- residents and businesses should contact the emergency services if there is danger to life. The councils Out-of-Hours number – 01702 215000 should be used during severe weather if there are public safety issues
- if residents and businesses are in an area where flooding has happened in the past, they are advised to check the current weather forecasts and log on to the Met Office website for local weather warnings
You can find out more information about protecting your property and the Southend Flood Partnership in our flooding section of the website.
You can find out more about adverse weather, gritting and snow clearance in our parking travel and roads section of the website.
For further information and advice, visit the following websites:
Local Radio Stations
Medical advice and assistance
- If medical help is required, residents are advised to contact their GP or call 111. You can also visit the NHS Choices website
- If urgent medical help is needed then ring 999 immediately
Page last updated: 14/02/2020