General Election 2019

For the results of the General Election 2019 visit our Election pages.


Change of Circumstances

You must tell us right away if any of your circumstances change for you or anyone who lives with you as this could affect how much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you get.

You must give full details of the change in your circumstances and the date of change. Please tell us about any changes as soon as possible so that we do not pay you too much Benefit. If you get too much benefit it is classed as an overpayment. We get back all overpayments unless they are caused by an official error and we could not expect you to know you were being overpaid. For further information about Overpayments please visit the Overpayments page. You must tell us right away if any of your circumstances change for you or anyone who lives with you as this could affect how much Benefit you get.

The type of changes we need to know about are as follows:

  • If you stop or start getting benefit
  • If your rent changes
  • If your or your partner's wages change
  • If you and your family’s income changes this includes telling us if your benefits or universal credit changes
  • If your savings or your family's savings change
  • If anyone who lives with you has a change in their situation (such as starting work)
  • If anyone who lives with you moves out
  • If anyone moves in to live with you
  • If you change your address

These are only some of the changes that you must tell us about. If you are not sure whether a change needs reporting tell us anyway. You can tell us of any changes in circumstances online by logging into your MySouthend account. If you have not yet registered you will need to go to our MySouthend page and register for an account.

Please do not delay telling us about your change. We will need to have proof of your change but if you cannot give us all the information immediately you should still submit your change. This way we can start to deal with your change and possibly avoid unnecessary overpayments.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to inform the Department for Work and Pensions. You will need to sign into your Universal Credit account to report this.

If we require further proof we will write to tell you what information we need to update your claim. You will have 1 month to give us the proof.

Depending on your circumstances you may need to complete additional forms. If you or your partner (if applicable):

  • Do not have payslips you will need to complete the Certificate of Earned Income Form and complete the form to the best of your knowledge.
  • Have come to live in the United Kingdom within the last two years you will need to complete the Persons from Abroad Form.
  • Pay child care costs you will need to send your childmind the Childcare Expenses Form.
  • Are self-employed and do not have audited accounts you will need to complete the Self Employed Information Form.

All these forms can be found on the MySouthend portal.

Page last updated: 29/05/2019