Getting Married or Registering a Civil Partnership

For Civil Ceremonies and Religious Ceremonies in Non-Church of England/Church in Wales Premises - Documents and Legal Formalities

You and your partner need to give Notice of Marriage in person to the Registration Officer. There are nationally set fees applicable in all circumstances.

The Registration Officer will need to see:

  • two forms of identification (a current valid full passport is preferred). If you don’t have a valid passport, then you will need to bring two other forms of identification. One of these should be your full birth certificate
  • if you have been married before, you should bring a decree absolute bearing the court's original stamp, or the death certificate of your former spouse
  • if the divorce was granted in a foreign country, you need to bring the original final divorce document, together with a full translation
  • proof of address such as a utility bill no more than three months old, or a bank statement which is no more than one month old

You might be asked for other documents, and photocopies are not accepted.

Once the notice of marriage has been given, it will be on the public notice board for 28 days. If all documentation has been received and cleared, you will get an authority for your marriage to proceed on the 29th day.

You will need to have at least two other people who will witness the marriage and sign the marriage register.

Foreign nationals (non EU & Swiss Nationals)

If you and your partner are subject to immigration control and would like to get married in the UK, you will need to apply for the appropriate Marriage Visitor visa. The waiting period of 28 days may be extended to 70 days if your notices of marriage need to be referred to the Home Office for approval. The statutory fee of £35 per person may also be increased to £47 per person if that referral is required. Please call your local designated office at Chelmsford on 0345 603 7632.

Divorce Papers

Consideration by the Superintendent Registrar of a divorce/civil partnership dissolution obtained outside the British Isles will be £50.

Consideration by the Registrar General of a divorce/civil partnership dissolution obtained outside the British Isles will be £75.

Please note your marriage cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed.

To make a provisional booking for a marriage please use our online form.

Contact Registrations

Telephone: 01702 215009

Go to top
Rating button
Rating Button