Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC)
Who can use the HWRCs?
Residents of Southend Borough only– you must show a current Driving Licence or Council Tax bill as proof of residency
Vehicle types permitted:
- Cars and 4 x 4’s
- Cars and 4 x 4’s with trailers with a load bed less than 1.8m (6ft) long
- Camper Vans
- 4 x 4's without a pickup
- Estate cars
- People carriers - where not permanently altered to carry large loads
Commercial type vehicles can access the sites on Sundays between 12pm and 4pm. You must show proof of address and complete a Household Waste Declaration Form (HWDF). Please also note that you must only be depositing your own household waste - it is illegal to deposit waste generated through commercial or business activities at either site.
Hire vans can access the sites at any time – please ensure that you take the hire agreement with you as well as proof of address.
If you are hiring a van for more than 7 days then please ensure that a HWDF is also completed and submitted.
- 'Commercial type' vehicles with trailers are not permitted access at any time
- It is illegal to deposit commercial or business waste or waste generated by other organisations at these sites
- Vehicles will still be subject to the usual checks upon entry and need to provide proof of address - Driving Licence or current Council Tax bill. If a site operative deems the waste to be of a commercial, business or trade related nature, the vehicle will be denied access to the site
- We reserve the right to restrict vehicle access if the driver is not able to provide proof of address and a completed HWDF
If you want to use a trailer with a load bed between 1.8m and 3m (6ft and 10ft) long, you must complete a Household Waste Declaration Form (HWDF).
Trailers with a load bed over 3m (10ft) long are not permitted to use the HWRC.
Essex County Council ceased their arrangement with Southend-on-Sea Borough Council which allowed residents from small areas of the Rochford District to access Stock Road HWRC. Residents of Rochford are therefore no longer permitted to use the facility but can continue to take their rubbish to the Essex site located in Rayleigh (or another Essex site if more convenient). Essex residents will still have access to any of the 21 sites provided by Essex County Council.
For more information on where to find Essex County Council recycling centres, opening hours and waste acceptance criteria please visit the Recycle for Essex website or contact 0345 603 7625.
Page last updated: 13/08/2019