A short guide to secondary school admissions 2024
If you live in Southend-on-Sea and have children in year 5 getting ready for the application process to year 7 in September 2024 this guide will help you.
The secondary school admissions booklet 2024 will be available from July. This will give you all the details needed to apply.
Applications can be made between 1 September 2023 and 31 October 2023.
Secondary school open days
All secondary schools will be holding open days where they will provide you with information about their school, for further information, please see the secondary school opens days page.
What additional support is available from the School Admissions Team?
You are invited to attend the secondary school admissions information event. Register for our informal information event on Tuesday 26 September 2023. We will be able to answer any questions your might have and support you with your application.
What do I do when the applications open?
- keep a record of all your actions. For example, the username and password you use when you register online
- register and apply online between 1 September to 31 October 2023. You can amend the application as many times as you need up to 31 October. You do not have to wait until you have the results of selection or aptitude tests
- remember to register for any other aptitude tests, for example The Eastwood Academy and complete any Supplementary Information Form for faith schools
- you can apply for schools in and out the city. We recommend that one of your choices is your catchment school
- we recommend that you use all 5 preferences when you apply
You must apply to Southend-on-Sea City Council if you:
- live in the city
- pay council tax to Southend-on-Sea City Council
This is regardless of which primary or junior school your child currently attends.
What happens between after the closing date and national offer day, 1 March 2024?
- applications are processed, addresses checked
- applications are ranked per school and checked
- all offers are recorded and highest offer possible matched
- exchanges of files with other local authorities for schools outside the area and applicants applying from other local authorities
- offers are drafted and after multiple exchanges
- offers are prepared
- offers are finalised and outcomes ready in time for 1 March 2024