Update 31 August: Please be aware we are experiencing issues with our phone lines at this time, if you are unable to get through by phone, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have you completed your Household Canvass?
You may recieve a reminder email, sent Wednesday 28 July, from email@example.com. Please read it carefully and respond as soon as you can.
The annual household canvass is used to update the register of electors.
We are required to match the names and address of our registered electors against data held by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). We are also allowed to compare our electoral data against data held by other departments of the Council.
As well as this, we will be sending some of our canvass communications by email. If you receive an email regarding this year’s canvass, please follow the instructions carefully. Use the security codes included in the email to complete your household response.
How does the canvass work?
- The electoral register is sent securely to DWP to be matched. Electors' names and address will be matched against information that they hold.
- We will also match our electoral data against data from other Council departments.
- If all the electors registered at a property can be matched, the property will be allocated to the matched property route.
- If there are any electors at a property that cannot be matched, the property will be allocated to the unmatched property route.
Routes of communication
Matched property route
- If we have an email address for you, we will send you an email from firstname.lastname@example.org asking you to go to our household registration website and confirm that the details for your household are correct.
- Please follow the instructions and enter your two-part security code.
- If you need to make any changes you can do this as well.
- Please respond as quickly as possible by following the instructions. If we do not receive a response, we must write to you.
- If you do not receive an email, your household will receive a canvass letter through the post. This letter will include the names of everyone registered to vote at the property.
- If the details on the letter are correct you do not need to do anything. If you would like to add or remove someone from the property, go to the website given on the form and use the security codes to log in and complete that change.
- If you cannot respond online you can call the helpline on 01702 215010 to make the changes.
Unmatched property route
- If we have not been able to match every elector in a household, your household will receive a letter. This will include the names of the electors that we currently have registered to vote at the property.
- You can respond using the online service. You will need your security codes from your letter to do this. You can also call the helpline on 01702 215010.
- You must respond to this letter even if you do not need to make any changes. Please respond as soon as possible.
Please respond as soon as possible. Households that do not respond may get a phone call or email from our team. You may also get a further reminder form or canvasser visit.
What happens next?
The information collected from the canvass is used to maintain the register of electors. If you have added new information or made changes as part of your response you will need to take further action.
If you have added details of a resident who is not currently registered to vote, they will need to register to vote at GOV.UK.
If new or unregistered residents do not register, we will write to them separately to remind them to do so.
As a local authority we have a statutory duty to maintain a register of electors. The Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) has a legal duty to maintain this register. This duty is fully explained in the Representation of the People Act 1983 and associated regulations.
The legal basis for processing this information falls under the performance of a public task in the public interest or exercising official authority. Please refer to our electoral services privacy notice available on our website for more information on how our ERO manages data.