Why have I received an annual canvass communication?
The annual canvass requires each Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) to contact all households in their area. This helps them to work out if the information held on the register is complete and accurate.
This means that during the summer, your household will receive either:
- an e-mail (addressed to an individual)
- a canvass letter (addressed to “the occupier”)
Each household is required by law to make sure that the details on the form are correct.
It is important to follow the instructions on your household communication.
All eligible residents need to be included on the form.
Eligible residents are:
- people who are aged 16 years or over (although they will not be able to vote until they are 18)
- British, Irish or EU citizens, or
- A Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK