Advice for Young People 16/17 Years Old

If you are 16 or 17 years old and homeless or threatened with homelessness, you can self-refer for help from the council. You may also be referred through Social Care or through your school or college.

You will be interviewed jointly by the Housing Solutions team and Childrens Social Care. Depending on your circumstances, it may be either the Housing Solutions team or Childrens Services who have a duty to support you.

The Government believes councils should, where possible, promote the upbringing of children by their families. A range of services exist within Southend to ensure that children aged 16 and 17 are able to remain within their family where there is a threat of homelessness.

These include:

  • mediation
  • family group conferencing
  • parenting resources
  • allocation of a social worker, Edge of Care team in Social Care (preventative workers)

If this is not possible, the Council will look at other housing options for you. If you have not had experience of managing your own housing before, it is likely that you will be referred to supported housing specifically for young people. Here you will obtain the skills you will need to live independently in the future.

Contact us - Housing Solutions Team

Telephone: 01702 215002

Online forms - Housing Advice and Homeless Enquiry Form

Go to top
Feedback button
Feedback Button