New residents to Southend
New residents to Southend-on-Sea
Welcome to Southend-on-Sea Borough, and to your recycling and waste services.
If you have moved into a purpose built block of flats then please see our recycling in flats page.
In Southend Borough we provide a weekly collection of all material streams using:
- pink recycling sacks – household plastic packaging, glass bottles and jars and food and drink cans. For further information please see our recycling sack scheme page
- blue paper and card box – for all paper and card. For further information please see our paper and card collection page
- blue food waste bin – for all cooked and uncooked food waste. For further information please see our blue food waste bin page
- clear textile sacks – for mixed textiles. For further information please see our clear textile recycling sack scheme page
- small electrical items can be presented for collection in a plastic shopping carrier bag. For further information please see our recycling small electrical items page
- black refuse sacks – all non-recyclable waste can be presented in black refuse sacks. For further information please see our black refuse sack scheme page
There are also a range of optional, buy into services available to residents:
- garden waste – from either wheeled bins or compostable sacks. Please see our garden waste page
- bulky items – we can collect large items from you for a small charge. Please see our bulk waste collection page
To find out your collection day please see our collection days and delivery dates page.
Recycling sack deliveries
We provide a delivery of recycling sacks every 6 months. To find out when your next delivery is due please see our getting additional sacks page.
What if I run out between deliveries?
If you run out of pink sacks before the next delivery is due, or have lost your reusable hanger to request compostable liners, these are available from:
- all Southend Libraries - Please see our Libraries directory for opening times page
- Southend Pier Visitor Information Centre - Please see our Southend Pier page for opening times
- Leigh Town Council Monday – Thursday 9am to 5pm Friday 9am to 4.30pm
- Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue – Please see our page about the Customer Service Centre for opening times
For residents in flats with communal food waste collections please email Veolia at firstname.lastname@example.org to request additional liners, providing your name and address details
How do the recycling and waste collections work?
Order of collection
Black sacks and blue food waste bins will be collected together in one lorry where they are stored separately.
Pink sacks and the paper and card will be collected in a different lorry. These lorries have split backs in order to keep different sorts of waste separate and prevent contamination.
These vehicles may start collections in different locations and, as such, your recycling and waste may be collected at different times.
For further information about what happens to your recycling and waste once it has been collected please see recycling.
Where else can I recycle?
Household Waste Recycling Centres
We have two Household Waste Recycling Centres (tips) in Southend-on-Sea, one in Stock Road (Southend) and the other in Leigh Marshes (Leigh-on-Sea) where a range of materials can be recycled.
For further information about what can be recycled at these sites please see our household waste recycling centre pages.
For further information about opening times please see our household waste recycling centres hwrc page.
For further information about accessing the sites please see our waste recycling centres who can use the HWRCs and what proof of identity do you need to use the HWRC pages.
Page last updated: 25/10/2018